10 April, 2011

Progress - Profile 46 (Satan's Chille'n) and Profile 47 (#1 - OS2U Kingfisher)


Two airplanes at once is proving to be difficult and I don't quite like it.    I enjoy the feeling of focusing on one airplane - after finishing Rostrom's B-17 and Ted's Kingfisher, it's back to one-at-a-time.

However, a loyal reader has asked to see more of my sketchwork, so I'm attaching two pages from my journal - one from April 3 while I was at church, the other done yesterday while at one of those "all day" business training/management events.

So, here you go, Reader from Phoenix, Arizona - a "ballpoint pen" of Satan's Chille'n releasing her payload over a Nazi-held target and a pencil study of an OS2U-3 Kingfisher and some random notes that have nothing to do with the seminar.

And to another reader who is interested in Rostrom's B-17, it's below - the wing has yet to be masked in, the turrets are barely started and I haven't begun the Plexiglas at all.  I give it 60% finished.

"1" - Hutchin's Kingfisher - is still in sketch-phase.

But, I do have something to share about Ted Hutchins, Kingfisher pilot.  The photo below is of Ted (right) and an unknown (to date) pilot that Ted snatched* from the Pacific.

Imagine what it must have been floating in the expanse of the ocean, in a waterlogged flight suit, suspended above the unknown depths by the thin rubber of a life raft. Marine ace and Medal of Honor recipient Joe Foss described the sensation to me as feeling, "very small."

Judging from the smiles on the two pilot's faces, I have to think that Ted Hutchins had extremely rewarding work in WW2, don't you think?


Photo: U.S. Navy Archives, Ted Hutchins

*In case you're unfamiliar, the OS2U Kingfisher that Ted flew was a "float plane" able to be catapulted from ships and also able to land/take-off from the water.  Though designed to perform Observation work for the fleet, the Kingfisher was also used as a Rescue aircraft, picking up aircrew and seamen adrift in the ocean.