08 March, 2011

Profile 46 - "Satan's Chillen"


The study sketch above is of a B-17G that flew with the 401st Bomb Group based at Deenethorpe, Northhamptonshire, England.  Specifically, the bomber belonged to the 613th Squadron.  But, if you're really, really into the details, her serial number was 43-37706 and was accepted into the U.S. Army Air Force inventory on May 13, 1944.

Today, all that's left of this bomber resides in the minds of her two surviving air crew, pilot Lt. William Mannix and bombardier, "Dick" Rostrom.

The closest I've gotten to the bomber's pilot was a scratchy phone call to Mannix's wife - her husband was not feeling well and she didn't want to wake him.  Life got haywire for me and...I've lost his phone number.  Damnit.  I have no idea if he's even alive right now.

But, I know Dick pretty well.  He and I have talked alot, traveled a bit... if you'd like to know more, stay tuned.  "Satan's Chillen" is about to crank -

CLEAR!